Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunday morning love affair

Here are some fun facts that lead me to my new love:

First: We now go to church from 2:30-5:30 every Sunday because they are remodeling our regular church building. So, I now have extra time on Sunday mornings.

Second: Today we have no milk in the house. This is a problem, because usually we have cereal and milk for breakfast.

Third: Andrew is a pancake gourmet. He loves pancakes. His favorite thing to make a grandma's house is Fluffies-a pancake recipe that involves separating eggs and beating the whites...too many steps for me.

Last: I love my Pioneer Woman cookbook. I want to try to make every recipe in it. So this morning I turned to the "in the morning section" and found my new love. It's name is Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes.

We made them this morning. Poor Erik slept through them (you snooze you lose around here). Believe me he missed out. These bad boys are worth getting out of bed for : )

Edna Mae’s Sour Cream Pancakes

From The Pioneer Woman Cooks

7 tablespoons all purpose flour

1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/ 2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Butter
Maple syrup

Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-low heat; you want it to slowly get nice and hot.

Stir the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together in the bottom of a medium bowl. Dump the sour cream in on top and stir it together very gently; it’s okay to leave the texture a bit uneven. Whisk the eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl and stir them into the sour cream mixture, once again, being careful not to overmix.

Melt about a tablespoon of butter in your skillet or griddle and pour the batter in, a scant 1/4 cup at a time. Cook for about 2 minutes on the first side, or until bubbles appear all over the surface, flipping them carefully and cooking for about a minute on the other side. Repeat with remaining batter.

Serve in a stack, topped with a pat of butter and a cascade of maple syrup.

TRY THEM!


3 comments:

Cynthia said...

I love these! I got a recipe somewhere for sour cream panackes and they are divine. I seriously just eat them plain with my hands. There's a delicious vanilla buttermilk syrup that I usually make with these, it's pretty much heaven on earth. Easy, too. I'm so glad you're blogging again. I need to get back in the groove.

Grandma said...

Thanks for the new recipe! I agree that Fluffies, even though they are good, are a major commitment. I'm stocking up on sour cream.

Unknown said...

I need about 10 minutes notice and I will roll out of bed and be at your house for these pieces of heaven on earth :)