Saturday, August 30, 2008

Crystal Cave in Wisconsin

In case you did not know, summer break is coming to an end. This is our last weekend. We thought it would be fun to go on one last fun outing. We loaded up the kiddos, met up with the Burgoynes and hit the road. We headed east to Wisconsin and hit the Crystal Cave.
We took a cool tour and learned a lot about caves. The cave entrance is a huge hole in the ground. It was actually discover by two boys that were just walking in a field in the 1800s. They saw a hole and investigated it. Wouldn't that be amazing?To enter, you walk down stairs and ramps.
Did you know that these things grow one inch every 100 years.?
Here are my kiddos. Can't you tell they are enjoying themselves? The temp of the cave is around 50 degrees year round...thus the sweatshirts.
Here's all the kiddos that got to go on the tour. Fun times
Although the cave it really near the cabin, this was Erik's first time at the cave. (only my second)
After the tour, we got to go panning for gems. The gift shop has packs of dirt with gems mixed in. We then got to go out and strain the dirt and see what you find.
Emily found some really pretty stones in her bag of dirt.
There is a small ice cream shop called Nelsons in Stillwater. (We passed it on our way home) Their cones are huge. These are seriously child size cones. Andrew ate most of this..because of a melting factor, we had to take some off the top for him. After eating all this ice cream we went home and went into an ice-cream coma.

3 comments:

Mark and Tara Christiansen said...

Wow, I'd love to have some of that ice cream! I love reading your blog. It makes me feel like we are all caught up.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lot of fun! So when I come out on my visit (It actually has to happen now :]) we should go to this cave. Oh and when I say cave... I mean ice cream shop. I wouldn't hate it if we didnt get all the way to the cave and could only make it to the ice cream shop :]

Tiffany said...

I'm still trying to recover from our ice cream gluttony! Great end of summer day!