Monday, July 14, 2008

Wheat bread

On Saturday, I got to go to the cannery. I never really thought about how lucky I am to live so close to the cannery. It is right here in Apple Valley. Some people have to drive hours to get to the closest cannery. I had so much fun loading boxes. I am excited to go again. We recently bought a wheat grinder so that we can make our own wheat flour with the cans of wheat that have been sitting on our shelf. It is so fun to grind wheat and use it. I really have not been big on making bread, but today was one of my first attempts. I am intimidated by the whole yeast process.
The bread turned out pretty good. Ryan asked for seconds..not bad coming from the kid who lives on Wonder Bread.
While I was waiting for the bread dough to rise, I made chocolate chip cookies. We always put one cup of wheat flour and one cup of white flour. It is so good. My neighborhood kids all come running when they hear I am making these cookies. I have to add that today we packed these bad boys up and went to Antlers Beach. I let them warm in the sun which turned them into melty goodness.
Now comes the question: What do you guys do with your wheat? Do you have yummy recipes? What is your favorite thing in your food storage? My mom and I are now planning on canning homemade apple sauce and salsa. Both are so yummy, my mouth is watering!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the cookies, can't wait to try the bread...yummy!

Unknown said...

This is the ONLY Food Storage Recipe that I know: Pumpkin Spice Cookies.

1 box Spice Cake
1 can pumpkin pie filling
1 bag chocolate chips

You might be tempted to add water or some moisture of some sort...DON'T! Just keep stirring and they bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. They are to die for.